The Ausangate Trek is a trip that runs through one of the most beautiful landscapes in the Andes. Along the way, you’ll pass by small villages, glacial lakes, towering snow capped peaks, and herds of alpacas,The Ausangate Trek reaches some seriously high elevations Starting at 12,000ft and reaching high passes close to 17,000ft. The Ausangate mountain (6398m/20991f) is considered one of the most beautiful snow-capped mountains of the Andes. The region around the mountain offers impressive scenery of mountains, glaciers, lagoons and streams. Furthermore, the Andean people are very hospitable and preserve the respect for nature. The farmers have excellent knowledge in the raising of cattle such as the vicuña, the alpaca and the lama, which are all appreciated for their fine quality of wool and meat. The four hours drive from Cusco to Tinqui is an excellent preparation for the differences in temperature and altitude.
Overview - Ausangate Trek 5 Days:
Altitude: 3900 - 5200 m. / 12795 – 17060f
High-season: May – November
Duration: 05 Days - 04 Nights
Level of difficulty: Moderate
*A minimum of 2 persons is needed for this trek
Ausangate Trek 5 Days Itinerary:
1st Day: Cusco – Urcos – Tinqui - Upis
We will leave Cusco early in the morning by bus. On our way to Tinqui (3900m/12795f), we will pass little farms and enjoy the beautiful landscape. After a little picnic in Tinqui, we will start on foot towards the community of Upis (4400m/14436f). Along the way, we will meet local families who will show us some examples of their textile work, created to honor the nature and Andean symbols. We spend the night in Upis camping site, also the possibility to enjoy hot springs.
Transport time: 04 hours
Hiking time: 5 hours
2nd Day: Upis – Arapa pass – Yana cocha – Extreme Ausangate pass – Ausangate Lake
After breakfast, we will ascend towards the first pass called Arapa (4800m/15748f). Thereafter, we will descend towards Yana cocha and have a picknick. Our route continues ascending towards the Extreme Ausangate pass (4850m/15912f) and ends at the shore of the Ausangate Lake (4650m/15256f) where we will camp.
Hiking time: 7 hours
3rd Day: Ausangate Lake – Palomani pass – Jampa
The 3rd day is both, the most beautiful and the most ardous one: we will first ascend towards the highest pass of this trek called the Palomani pass (5200m/17060f). From here, we will have an exceptional view of the mountains and glaciers of Ausangate. Thereafter, we will descend to the valley of Finaya Pampa and will finally arrive at our camping site called Jampa (4700m/15420f).
Hiking time: 8 hours
4th Day: Jampa – Campa pass – Pacchanta
The highlight of this day is definitely the spectacular ascend to the Campa pass (5100m/16732f). Moreover, we will pass several lovely lagoons on the way to our camping site in Pacchanta (4350m/14270f). Here, we will visit the hot springs and will have a typical dinner.
Hiking time: approx. 8 hours
5th Day: Pacchanta - Tinqui - Cusco
After breakfast, our trek continues towards the village Tinqui (3900m/12795f), from where we will take a bus back to Cusco. On the way we will visit either Tipon or Saylla and have a typical dish of the region, such as guinea-pig or chicharrón (grilled pork). (Typical dish of the region included)
Hiking time: 3 hours
Transport time: 4 hours
Ausangate Trek 5 Days (Private)
- Transport from the hotel to the town of Tinqui
- Return transport from Tinqui to Cusco
- Entrance to the Ausangate park
- Professional bilingual guide (Spanish and English)
- High quality camping equipment (professional tents, Doite model Cima 4, extra light/4,5kgs for two persons. Mattresses, eating tent with table and chairs, bathroom tent).
- Meals during the excursion (Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks/option vegetarian)
- Cook and cooking equipment
- Horseman and mules, for all our camping equipment and personal luggage (Up to 8 kg.)
- Emergency horse (for minimal 2 persons)
- First-aid kit and oxygen bottle
- Breakfast on the first day.
- Sleeping bag (if you do not have a sleeping bag, there is the possibility of lending one)
Most of the people living in the region of Ausangate are very poor and live from breeding and cultivation. A small group of farmers and our agency want to help those people. A small voluntary donation can help them to buy for example clothes or school equipment. The families will be very grateful.
(1) We will climb up 5200m/17060f. Combined with extreme weather this trek can be hard work. We want you to remember this trek with a smile on you face, therefore, please ensure that you are well acclimatized, in good shape and healthy.
(2) Since the weather can be very cold and moisty, your clothes - once gotten wet - won’t dry at night. So take some clothes to change.
What do I need to bring?
- Backpack with rain shelter.
- Sleeping back.
- Clothing for warm and cold climate like a waterproof jacket.
- Rain pants and lightweight pants.
- Trekking shoes.
- Slippers or sandals (for showers and hot springs).
- Woolen or synthetic socksand a sweater.
- Long- and short-sleeved polo’s/T-Shirts.
- Rainponcho and a hat.
- Bathing suit (for the hot springs in Aguas Calientes).
- Sunscreen, insect repellent, disinfecting alcohol and gel, water bottle and sterilizing tablets, toiletries and toilet paper.
- Camera (wrapped in plastic bag), a flash light and batteries.
- Some snacks like chocolate bars and dry fruit.
- Original passport, original ISIC student card and extra money in soles.
- Since the weather can be very cold and moistly, your clothes - once gotten wet - won’t dry at night. So take some clothes to change.
Conditions & Terms:
1) We require an immediate deposit of US $ 150 for all bookings
2) For all tours and treks the balance can be paid up to 48 hours prior to the start of the program. In case of paying the balance in the office of XTreme Tourbulencia we only accept cash payment. Failure to pay the trek balance will result in tour cancellation.
3) If a participant decides to cancel during the breefing 2 days prior to departure, he or she has to pay the full amount of the trek. XTreme Tourbulencia however, will cover the expenses (hotel and transport) made by that participant to visit any village close to the trek. This offer of ours must be confirmed at the breefing itself.
5) The Ausangate Trek is non-transferable, non-reimbursable and the participant cannot change the date of departure
6) If during the length of the program the traveler abandons the excursion as a decision made by him- or herself, no reimbursement will be made and no claim will be accepted. XTreme Tourbulencia does not cover the expenses made by the traveler for a hotel and the transport back to Cusco. Also, the traveler will be accompanied by a co-worker of XTreme Tourbulencia back to the train station.
7) Certain Services might be interrupted or even cancelled due to weather conditions, natural disasters or other disturbances. These are out of the control of hotels, Service suppliers, XTreme Tourbulencia or its partners and therefore, no refund will be given.
8) If XTreme Tourbulencia doesn't confirm the reservation, the deposit will be refunded
9) In case of force majeur, when a trek cannot start or completed, XTreme Tourbulencia will find an alternative trek. If this alternative is of lower value than the originally booked excursion, XTreme Tourbulencia will refund the difference.
10) It is compulsory that all clients have personal travel insurance. This insurance must cover personal accidents, medical expenses, loss of effects and all other expenses which might arise as a result of loss, damage or injury occurring to the client. XTreme Tourbulencia cannot be considered responsible for any accident or loss of personal belongings the customer caused by his/her acts
If you are interested in this tour or do you have any questions about it. Please Contact us ..... CLICK HERE.
Payments & Booking
* We will not be able to book and confirm your tour or trek without the following:
1. A deposit of $150 USD . Deposits are made through the PayPal link below.