The Ausangate trek with Rainbow Mounintain trek is an amazing option for those looking for a challenging high altitude hike with several high passes to cross. It is not for the faint hearted and a good level of fitness is required. You will be rewarded by quiet, uncrowded trails, spectacular glacial lakes, stunning snow-capped peaks and the unusual red scree landscapes of the Rainbow Mountains of Vinicuna. And with this tour, we will drive you from the end of the trek to visit Machu Picchu.
Overview - Ausangate and Vinicunca Trek 5 Days
Altitude: 4050 - 5100 m. / 13287ft – 16732ft
High-season: May – November
Duration: 05 Days - 04 Nights
Level of difficult: Difficulty
*A minimum of 2 persons is needed for this trek
Ausangate and Vinicunca Trek 5 Days Itinerary:
Day 1: Cusco – Urcos – Tinqui – Upis – Arapa Pass – Yanacocha
We will leave Cusco early in the morning by bus. On our way to the upper of Tinqui (4050m/13287ft), we will pass little farms and meet local families. After a little stopping while we packing your belongings in duffel bags, we start walking towards the community of Upis (4400m/14436ft). The objective here being to have the lunch-break for a moment and discover a beautiful scenery of hills and the frontal part of Ausangate snow-covered. After having lunch, we continue hiking up to Arapa pass (4800m/15748f). Thereafter, we will descend towards Yana ccocha (4500m/ 14763ft) where we’ll set up the camping site.
Transport time: 03hours 30
Hiking time: 6 hours
Day 2: Yanacocha – Pucacocha Pass – Anantapata
After breakfast, we discover amazing lakes and different kind of colors from where we ascend towards Pucacocha Pass (4900m/ 16076ft). Thereafter, we will continue to Anantapata (4500m/14763ft) where we will camp.
Hiking time: 7 hours
Day 3: Anantapata – Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca) – Ausangate cocha lake
After breakfast, we take the trail to another mountain pass. Dropping down, we'll hike by Lake Kayrawiri, surrounded by rugged mountain peaks and the great valley below. Striations of color are imbedded in the hillsides. Then we go on to Cerro Laya Grande via massive glacier del Inca, and the most striking colors in the sediments of Yauricunca or Vinicunca. We lunch here in this unique landscape. We see hundreds of Andean geese nesting in the cliffs of Anta, and after that we comeback to Ananta from where we continue to Ausangate Qocha Lake (4650m/15256f) where we will camp.
Hiking time: 7 hours
Day 4: Ausangate cocha Lake – Palomani pass – Jampa
Today we take in our highest mountain pass (5100/ 16732ft.) with its panoramic, spectacular views of Ausangate snow-covered. Descending alongside the glaciers, we hike to Finaya pampa where see different king of camelids like Alpacas, Lamas and the wild vicuñas and sometimes Condors. After a day of great hiking we arrive at Jampa (4700m/15420f) where will camp.
Hiking time: 7 hours
Day 5: Jampa – Campa pass – Pacchanta – Cusco
The highlight of this day is definitely the spectacular ascend to the Campa pass (5050m/16568ft). Moreover, we will pass several lovely lakes on the way to Pacchanta (4350m/14270ft). Here, we will visit the hot springs and will have a typical lunch. After being relaxing at the hot spring, we continue by car to Cusco.
Hiking time: approx. 6 hours
Transport time: 4hrs
Rainbow Mountain & Ausangate Trek 5 Days (Private Departure)
• Transport from the hotel to the town of Tinqui
• Return transport from Tinqui to Cusco
• Entrance to the Ausangate park
• Professional bilingual guide (Spanish and English)
• High quality camping equipment (professional tents, UREKA tents for two persons. Mattresses, eating tent with table and chairs, bathroom tent).
• Meals during the excursion (Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks/option vegetarian)
• Cook and cooking equipment
• Horseman and mules, for all our camping equipment and personal luggage (Up to 7 kg.)
• Emergency horse (for minimal 2 persons)
• First-aid kit and oxygen bottle
• Breakfast on the first day.
• Sleeping bag (if you do not have a sleeping bag, there is the possibility of lending one)
Most of the people living in the region of Ausangate are very poor and live from breeding and cultivation. A small group of farmers and our agency want to help those people. A small voluntary donation can help them to buy for example clothes or school equipment. The families will be very grateful.
(1) We will climb up 5100m/16732ft. Combined with extreme weather this trek can be hard work. We want you to remember this trek with a smile on your face, therefore, please ensure that you are well acclimatized, in good shape and healthy.
(2) Since the weather can be very cold and moisty, your clothes - once gotten wet - won’t dry at night. So take some clothes to change.
What do I need to bring?
• Backpack with rain shelter.
• Sleeping back.
• Clothing for warm and cold climate like a waterproof jacket.
• Rain pants and lightweight pants.
• Trekking shoes.
• Slippers or sandals (for showers and hot springs).
• Woolen or synthetic socksand a sweater.
• Long- and short-sleeved polo’s/T-Shirts.
• Rainponcho and a hat.
• Bathing suit (for the hot springs in Aguas Calientes).
• Sunscreen, insect repellent, disinfecting alcohol and gel, water bottle and sterilizing tablets, toiletries and toilet paper.
• Camera (wrapped in plastic bag), a flash light and batteries.
• Some snacks like chocolate bars and dry fruit.
• Original passport, original ISIC student card and extra money in soles.
• Since the weather can be very cold and moistly, your clothes - once gotten wet - won’t dry at night. So take some clothes to change.
Conditions & Terms:
- Please note that the program deposit is non-refundable. The deposit is used to purchase the space within the group and once a space is purchased it cannot be resold.
- XTreme Tourbulencia will not give any refunds if a participant decides to cancel the trip prior to departure or during the trip (except from the entrances to the archaeological sites and the bus/train tickets)
- If XTreme Tourbulencia doesn’t confirm the reservation, your payment will be refunded totally.
- All participants have to carry their own back packs, including sleeping bag and mattresses unless they booked an extra porter or the service includes porters, horsemen or mules.
- A participant must declare if he/she has any sickness or medical disorder and must bring his/her own medicines.
- All participants must bring their original passport and, if available, their original student card ´ISIC´.
- It is compulsory that all clients have personal travel insurance. This insurance must cover personal accident, medical expenses, loss of effects and all other expenses which might arise as a result of loss, damage or injury occurring to the client. XTreme Tourbulencia cannot be accounted for any accident or lose of personal belongings the customer caused by his/her own.
- In case force majeure occurs, like impossibility to operate the program or trek due to unusual or unforeseen circumstances outside XTreme Tourbulencia's control like: extreme weather conditions, landslides, strikes not allowing operation or putting it at risk, sudden inaccessibility of route, etc. XTreme Tourbulencia will propose viable solutions to operate the program within the available dates, or if impossible, will then propose an alternative program. If the alternative program chosen by the client is of lower value than that originally booked then the client is entitled to a refund of the price difference. All costs derived will be at the expense of the client. In case none of these would be feasible, XTreme Tourbulencia would refund all the money paid except all the incurred expenses so far.
Payments & Booking
* We will not be able to book and confirm your tour or trek without the following:
1. A deposit of $150 USD . Deposits are made through the PayPal link below.