Day 1: Cusco – Huaca Casi pass – Lares Hot Springs – Huacawasi – Sondor
At approximately 6am we will pick you up at your hotel to set course to the village of Lares where we will start hiking. During this journey we will make a stop in the village of Calca, where you will be able to visit the local market and buy breakfast or other supplies you forgot. Your guide might advise you to buy some bread to hand out to the children you will meet during the trek. When arriving at Lares we will visit the hot springs where you will be able to enjoy the hot water while our cooks prepare a wonderful lunch. After lunch we will start our hike towards the first campsite in Sondor (3800m). During 3 hours you will walk gradually uphill so that you get a good training for the next day when we will reach the highest point of the trek. The first night we will spend the night at the house of our horsemen who are joining us on the trip. At arrival your tents will be ready and you will receive popcorn, sweets and some hot thee before having dinner.
- Transport time: 4 hours
- Hiking time: 6 hours
- Climate during the day: Warm
- Climate during the night: Cold
Day 2: Huacawasi – Sondor – Paso Sacsayllame – Aruray Cocha – Yurak Cocha – Pucara
After a nutritious breakfast we will start hiking towards the highest point, the pass of Sacsayllame or Hucahuasi at 4400m/14435 feet. The hike will take about 2 hours and will be very steep uphill. Of course an emergency horse will accompany us so that everyone will certainly be able to reach the top. During this trek you will be able to enjoy enormous mountains, a patchwork of agricultural lands and breathtaking views. Be aware that we will reach great heights and the weather can be very cold. After reaching the highest point we will descend and pass a beautiful lagoon before having lunch next to the river. You will be able to recuperate while our cooks prepare a delicious lunch for you. Next we will descend further through a forest where you will be able to enjoy the “Queuñas” (Polylepis), a typical three from Peru. This walk will take about 4 hours before reaching our campsite at Pucara (3100m/10170f). A wonderful place where you will receive hot thee and some snacks upon arrival before having dinner.
- Hiking time: 8 hours
- Transport time: half an hour
- Climate during day/night: Cold and warm
Day 3: Pucara – Ollantaytambo – Km 104 – Wiñayhuayna – Aguas Calientes
Our journey starts early in the morning at 6am, a vehicle will bring you to Ollantaytambo village. From here, you are able to take a tourist train to Km 104. After our arrival at km 104, the Royal Inca Trail begins with a hike to Chachabamba (2270m/7448f), where our guide will inform us about the previous function of this archeological site. Thereafter, we will reach Wiñayhuayna (2650m/8694f), the most important archeological site besides Machu Picchu. After that, our trail continues towards the Sun Gate “Inti Punku”, a nice viewpoint from which we can enjoy the nightfall on Machu Picchu (2400m/7874f). Since we have to continue our walk to our hotel in Aguas Calientes, we will only spend little time in the Sanctuary of Machu Picchu on the first day.
- Transport time: half an hour
Day 4: Aguas Calientes – Sanctuary of Machu Picchu – Cusco
We will leave our hotel towards Machu Picchu after breakfast at about 5:30 am by bus. We are leaving that early because at this time the setting is less crowded and the morning is a good time to enjoy the calmness and the ancient spirit of the best-known archaeological site on the continent. After our arrival at the citadel around 6:00 am, our guide will give us detailed information about Machu Picchu and the history and culture of the Inca. Thereafter, you will have enough free time to enjoy and explore the site on your own (f.ex. go to the Inka Bridge, explore the variety of buildings or climb Waynapicchu for an amazing panorama picture). A bus takes you down to Aguas Calientes. Here you have the possibility to join the town’s hot springs (S/ 10.00 Nuevos soles). We will leave Aguas Calientes in the afternoon.
- Climate: warm with mosquitoes
- Hiking time: 02 hours
- Total distance: 4 km.
Reservation: Since the number of trekking permits is limited to 250 per day (about 200 tourists and 50 trekking staff) it is important to book well in advance – especially in the high season between May and September. In the low season between December and January, it is possible to get a ticket about 30 days in advance.
- Pre-briefing time at 19hrs in our office 1 or 2 days before your date departure (It has to be confirmed at the booking time).
- A tourist bus from the hotel to Lares village
- Entrance to the thermal baths in Lares village
- Transport from Pucara to Ollantaytambo where the train station is situated
- Tourist train from Ollantaytambo to Km 104
- 2 ways tourist bus from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes and back to Aguas Calientes
- Tourist train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo and Collective tourist transfer from the train station in Ollantaytambo to the centre of Cusco (Plaza Regocijo / Few meters of Plaza de Armas or Marriott Hotel / Calle Ruinas, beginning of San Blas neighbourhood).
- Entrance fees to the Inca Trail and the Sanctuary of Machu Picchu
- Hostel with private room and bathroom in Aguas Calientes
- Professional bilingual guide (Spanish and English)
- High quality camping equipment (professional Eureka tents, extra light/4.5kgs for 2 persons. Mattresses, eating tent with table and chairs, bathroom tent).
- Meals during the excursion (Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks/Option vegetarian)
- Cook and cooking equipment
- Horseman and mules for all camping and personal equipment of the (up to 4 kg).
- Emergency horse (From Huacahuasi to Pucara)
- First-aid kit and oxygen bottle
- Breakfast on the first day and last lunch in Aguas Calientes town
- Bus down from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes where the train station is situated; you can either pay the cost of $ 12.00 for the bus-Service or walk back to Aguas Calientes which will take you about an hour.
- Entrance to the hot springs in Aguas Calientes town (it cost S/ 10.00 Nuevos soles)
Due we do not need an extra porter for the 2-Day Inca Trail (group departure), everyone carries her/his own bag back.
What do I need to bring?
Backpack with rain shelter, sleeping back, clothing for warm and cold climate like a waterproof jacket, trekking shoes, slippers or sandals (for showers and hot springs), woolen or synthetic socks, a sweater, long- and short-sleeved polo’s/t-shirts, a rain poncho, a hat, bathing suit (for the hot springs in Lares Village), sunscreen, insect repellent, disinfecting alcohol and gel, water bottle and sterilizing tablets, toiletries and toilet paper, photo camera (wrapped in plastic bag), a flash light and batteries, some snacks like chocolate bars and dry fruit, original passport, original ISIC student card and extra money in soles.
- From the Hot Spring of Lares village (Day 1) all luggage will be transferred to Huacahuasi community by car. From Huacahuasi to Pucara (Day 2) we are accompanied by horsemen and mules that will carry all camping equipment and the customer’s private luggage (up to 4 kg). From Ollantaytambo to Aguas Caliente town (Day 3) we continue by train.
- Visit to Huayna Picchu: For Huayna Picchu mountain requires to be booked long time in advance however we charge additional US $ 22.00 and then we’ll guarantee your entrance for Huayna Picchu as well (This new State law began since the 18th of July, 2011).
- Camping sites: The camping sites on the journey to Machu Picchu can vary from those described in our itinerary. This is because some camping sites are already booked out otherwise can be our guide’s criteria and the group progress.
- Altitude Advice: To avoid problems with to the altitude, we recommend that you arrive at least 48 hrs prior to departure of your hike. Please contact us as soon as you get to Cusco to organize the pre-departure meeting.
- Tips for porters, cooks and guides are always welcome. The porters are also very grateful for a small donation, for example clothes or school equipment for their children.
Conditions & Terms:
- Please note that the program deposit is non-refundable. The deposit is used to purchase the ticket entrance to the Inca Trail, Machupicchu and hotels in Aguas Calientes town, and once a space is purchased it cannot be resold.
- XTreme Tourbulencia will not give any refunds if a participant decides to cancel the trip prior to departure or during the trip (except from the entrances to the archaeological sites and the bus/train tickets)
- If XTreme Tourbulencia doesn’t confirm the reservation, your payment will be refunded totally.
- All participants have to carry their own back packs, including a box lunch for the 1st day.
- A participant must declare if he/she has any sickness or medical disorder and must bring his/her own medicines.
- All participants must bring their original passport and, if available, their original student card ´ISIC´.
- It is compulsory that all clients have personal travel insurance. This insurance must cover personal accident, medical expenses, loss of effects and all other expenses which might arise as a result of loss, damage or injury occurring to the client. XTreme Tourbulencia cannot be accounted for any accident or loss of personal belongings the customer caused by his/her own.
- In case force majeure occurs, like impossibility to operate the program or trek due to unusual or unforeseen circumstances outside XTreme Tourbulencia’s control like: extreme weather conditions, landslides, strikes not allowing operation or putting it at risk, sudden inaccessibility of route, etc. XTreme Tourbulencia will propose viable solutions to operate the program within the available dates, or if impossible, will then propose an alternative program. If the alternative program chosen by the client is of lower value than that originally booked, then the client is entitled to a refund of the price difference. All costs derived will be at the expense of the client. In case none of these would be feasible, XTreme Tourbulencia would refund all the money paid except all the incurred expenses so far.
* We will not be able to book and confirm your tour or trek without the following:
1. A deposit of $150 USD . Deposits are made through the PayPal link below.