Machu Picchu Tour with Overnight; When visiting Machu Picchu, the best option is to overnight in Aguas Calientes so that you will have enough time to enjoy the beautiful scenery of the sanctuary of Machu Picchu. You can visit the village of Aguas Calientes, the thermal baths and the other attractions that this village has to offer.The location of Machu Picchu, in the middle of the canyon of the Urubamba River, couldn’t have been chosen better. You can clearly see that Machu Picchu is a construction designed precisely to fit the landscape around it. This resulted in a beautiful sanctuary that is integrated in nature with great success. The natural topography was transformed in terraces with agricultural and urban aims which merge completely with their surroundings. Next to this, there are also at least two dozens of rocks which, as scale models, represent the surrounding topography.
In the sanctuary of Machu Picchu, surrounded by majestic snow-covered mountains, exist abundant flora and fauna, which attracts locals and strangers. The famous Inca city of Machu Picchu is the most important symbol of the Andean culture. It is difficult to find a comparable place to Machu Picchu anywhere in the world. This sanctuary is one of the most important archeological monuments in the world, and declared as cultural heritage of humanity by UNESCO, together with the city of Cusco.
Visiting Machu Picchu with a professional guide represents a unique experience. The mystic solemnity that comes off its’ imposing walls and the mysteries that those stones involve, inspire a deep respect to the constructors of the monumental work, who knew how to conjugate the art of their creation with the capricious and wild nature.
Altitude: 2000 - 2750 m. / 6561 - 9022 f.
High Season: whole year
Duration: 2 days / 1 night
Level of Difficulty: Normal (Easy)
Machu Picchu with Overnight in Aguas Calientes Itinerary:
Day 1: Cusco – Aguas Calientes / Mandor
In order to give you enough time to enjoy the breathtaking scenery, we will pick you up from your hotel early in the morning to be able to take an early train. This journey to Aguas Calientes will take approximately 4 hours during which you can enjoy the stunning views of Peruvian landscapes. Once arrived and checked in to the hotel you will have the time to enjoy lunch.
You have different options to spend your afternoon in Aguas Calientes. The town Aguas Calientes is famous for its hot springs. If you prefer a more cultural visit the town offers different museums worth visiting. Last but not least we offer the optional visit the waterfalls of Mandor. They are home to an enormous natural wealth, a great variety of orchids and medicine plants or just go to relax to the hot springs.
We advise you to go to bed early because day 2 will start very early.
Day 2: Machu Picchu - Cusco
To be able to enjoy the mind-blowing sunrise above the sanctuary of Machu Picchu we choose to take the earliest bus around 5:30am. Upon arrival we offer you a first class guided tour to discover more about the site and life and culture of its inhabitants. This tour will take approximately 2 hours and a half during which you will receive headphones in order to be able to hear every word of the guide’s explanation.
After the guided tour, the guide will explain you what time you should go back in order to get your train to Cusco. You will have plenty of time to visit Machu Picchu on your own after the tour. For those who are looking for the best pictures of the site we offer the possibility to climb up to Huayna Picchu. It takes approximately 2 hours to go up and down. If you would like to do this, please inform us during the booking, places are limited and tickets must be bought in advance.
When arriving by train in Cusco we will pick you up to bring you to your hotel.
After the guided tour in Machu Picchu you will have enough time to get into the mystic energy and peace of the sanctuary. There is also the possibility to ascent the mythical mountain Huayna Picchu, a place where you will have the best view over Machu Picchu, and also you could head for tropical scenery leading through the Inca Trail network towards the temple of the moon, a sacred place with the function of cult of the moon, an important goddess during the Inca dynasty.
For Huayna Picchu mountain requires to be booked long time in advance however we charge additional $ 10.00 USD and then we’ll guarantee you entrance for Huayna Picchu as well (This new law state began from the 18th of July, 2011).
- The train departures could change due to the high or low season, giving us more or less options for booking your train reservation.
- All practical information concerning your train departures will be confirmed at least 1 or 2 days before your departure during a briefing with your tour guide
- In case there are no train tickets available in the direct route Aguas Calientes – Cusco, a train ticket Aguas Calientes – Sacred Valley (Ollantaytambo) with an additional private transportation from the Sacred Valley to your hotel in Cusco. This does not apply for the Hiram Bingham luxury train service.
For this tour we have two different options, the difference between both options is the type of train you choose to get to Aguas Calientes.
- · Expedition
- · Vistadome
The expedition train offers all the comfort you need with four passengers seats located in front of each other, racks placed above the seats, panoramic windows, air conditioning and heating, and Andean music that creates a cheerful atmosphere.
The Vistadome is the ideal train for those who want to be in contact with the environment and appreciate the wonderful journey to Machu Picchu. Surrounded entirely by glass and wagons with large panoramic windows offering incomparable scenic views and innumerous opportunities to capture amazing pictures. The Vistadome also has air conditioning and heating, leather seats that adjust the body to provide comfort and relaxation during the entire trip. The Vistadome has a different service, which allows the visitor to be immersed and feel the Andean culture through its landscapes, music, dance and even food carefully prepared with local ingredients.
Machu Picchu Tour 2 Days (Group Departure)
- Transfer from the hotel to the start of the excursion and return
- Train ticket and return
- Bus ticket from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu and back to Aguas Calientes
- Entrance to the sanctuary of Machu Picchu
- Professional guide in Spanish or English
- Meals during the excursion (1 breakfast, 2 lunches and 1 diner)
- Hotel in the village of Aguas Calientes
- Entrance to Mandor park
- Entrance to the archeological museum in Aguas Calientes
- Entrance to the thermal baths in Aguas Calientes
What do I need to bring?
- Small backpack.
- Clothing for warm and cold climate like trekking trousers and trekking shoes.
- Rain poncho.
- Hat, sunscreen, insect repellent and desinfecting alcohol and gel.
- Photo camera (wrapped in plastic bag).
- Flash light and batteries.
- Some snacks like chocolate.
- Original passport.
- Original ISIC card (in case you are student).
- Extra money in soles.
Payments & Booking
* We will not be able to book and confirm your tour or trek without the following:
1. A deposit of $150 USD . Deposits are made through the PayPal link below.