Vinicunca also known as the Rainbow mountain is one of the most impressive sites of Apu Ausangate. It is made up of a variety of colors due to the mineral composition in its glaciers. In fact, Vinicunca is the second most visited site after Machu Picchu, making it an essential visiting spot for travelers in Cusco.
So how do we go about getting this tour started? We begin early morning at 4:30 am, heading south towards Puno lane taking the route by Cusipata, here we will take a break for breakfast before returning to our bus and continue down the road, the route will be as such:
- Cusco – Cusipata – Phulawasipata: 102 km (asphalt and carriage track).
- Phulawasipata – Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca) (Walk): 3 km.
Take note: This walk will require some acclimatization due to the fact you will be over 5000 meters in altitude surrounded by the cold climate of Rainbow Mountain. The anual average temperature varies between 7 to 12 °C. Specifically speaking the months of May, June and July are the coldest months for this site.
Here’s a rundown of how the mineral composition gives Rainbow Mountain its name:
- The Pink is comes from the red clay, mudstones (fango) and claystones.
- The Whiteness comes from the quartz sandstone and marl, rich in calcium carbonate.
- The Red is composed of claystones (Iron) and claystones belonging to the upper tertiary.
- The Green is due to the compounds of phyllites and claystones rich in ferromagnesian.
- The Earthy Brown is product of the fanglomerate made up of magnesium rock belonging to the quaternary era.
- Finally, the Mustard Yellow forms due to the presence of calcareous sandstones rich in sulfur minerals.
- Transport from hotel to starting point of the trek.
- Entry to the Rainbow mountain and Red Valley.
- Guide (English or Spanish)
- Breakfast and Lunch
- Transport Bus back to Cusco
- Oxygen Tank
- First aid Kits
- Trekking poles
¿What should i take?
Solid trekking equipment is always necessary:
- Passport (A copy of it would suffice.
- A Light Trekking bag.
- Extra batteries, and portable chargers for either cameras or phone
- A hat for the sun
- Scarves for the cold
- Trekking shoes
- Rain Poncho
- Some money (in soles preferably)
Should you feel ill during the travel, you can rent horses that will take you as far as to the peak to make the Journey much smoother.
* We will not be able to book and confirm your tour or trek without the following:
1.- A deposit of $45 USD . Deposits are made through the PayPal link below.
2.- Send the money through WESTER UNION
(An easy and cheaper way to send the deposit) https://www.westernunion.com/pe/en/send-money.html Once you confirm your booking of trips, send the deposit through Western Union page or if you have any closer agency of this company , send us the money in US$ in name of :
|ID or DNI:||22976985|
|Address:||Calle Plateros N°364|
|Telephone number:||(+51) 984 610 644|
|Office of Western Union to be picked:||Maruri street N° 310|